[Chennaipy] Points from the discussion after the February Meetup

Shrayas rajagopal shrayasr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 15:14:46 CET 2015

Hi All,

February 28th was great! We conducted our first workshop[1] and had a
great meetup after. The talks in the meetup were as usual very varied
and different. The diversity in the group shows in the talks month on
month. At the end of the meetup on the way back, I always feel humbled
to be a part of such a great community.

A bunch of us actually stayed behind after the meetup and we came upon
a few things that we'd like to do. Here is what we came up with (All
points up for discussion):

# Experimenting with a different timing for the meetup

There seems to be some concern from the people who have either college
or work about the meetup being on Saturdays. We've received mails that
people really would like to be a part of it but they aren't able to
since it is pretty inconvenient being on a Saturday. So there was a
proposal to move it to the last Sunday of the month instead of the
Saturday.

The unanimous decision on this was that it should be tried. Therefore
we decided that we will try in the March meetup. There was also an
additional suggestion of alternating this, i.e. having one month's
meetup on the last saturday and the next month's meetup on the last
Sunday.

# A video editing team

This team will consist of people who will be in charge of collating,
editing and posting the videos online. Vijay did this for all the
videos last time and his effort is much appreciated. Many people
expressed their intentions on doing this. Karthik[2] has expressed his
intentions on leading this.

# A Chennaipy blog

Let us start churning out content from Chennaipy. We have already
started doing this with the videos but we can get more serious with
blog posts from people in the community. This will also help people to
get out of their shyness zone. Most of the talks that we are
privileged to listen to would be *great* as blog posts. One that comes
to the top of my mind is Vengat's talk on controlling your computer
with Kivy. There have been other absolutely amazing talks in the past
that are well worthy of blog posts. This additionally would also bring
exposure to the various people writing these posts.

# Logo for Chennaipy

Chennaipy has been around for a long long time and we still don't have
anything that identifies us. So we thought its about time we had
something like that. So here is announcing a logo contest (details
will be sent in another mail). Let us aim to have a logo before the
next meetup. Maybe some swag too!

# Volunteers for conducting and organizing forthcoming workshops

Workshops clearly are something that works. I propose having a Python
101 workshop every 6 months (at least) to make the newcomers feel
welcome. I think that is a good timeframe to do these workshops. Apart
from that, from the poll[4] that we conducted earlier, the majority of
them spoke about wanting to dive deeper into python. This warrants
having people who know this kind of stuff and I'm sure that there are
a great sum of such people in our community. We request you to
volunteer to conduct such workshops.

Please note however that you dont have to be a "big shot" in order to
come forward to organize a workshop. You just need to be thorough in
what you already know. What you know, dozens of people might not know
in the community.

# List of previously done talks

It would be great if we could maintain a list of previously done talks
in Chennaipy. I'm unsure how back in time we could go for this? Since
Vijay and the others have been running the meetup since about 3 years
now, there have been a *lot* of talks done - You should check out the
mailing list archives for a good idea. Apart from that this is a good
thing to have on the website for people to get a sense of what kind of
talks have been done at Chennaipy

# Transcription of talks

The some of us who have everything in the right places and everything
working should be really grateful. There are a good sum of people who
dont have the same luxuries that we do - Some of them are severely
hearing impaired or even deaf all together but that doesn't stop them
from doing the same things that we do. One of the people I know -
Bharat[3] (from bangalore) is one such person but that doesn't make
him any less that any of us. He is a really nice person and does some
great work as well. He inspired me to want to Transcribe my talk so
that he and others like him would benefit from it. We definitely don't
generate enough traffic yet to say that we definitely _are_ helping
people but it is a great thing to have _in case_ people look for it.

The priority on this however is Low. We have other things to achieve
in the bag as well. But I urge anyone as and when they get time to
take an hour out and transcribe a talk from our previous meetup
videos.

________________________

These are some of the topics that we spoke about after the meetup.
Please feel free to add any points to this in case I missed out on
anything. Really exciting to be a part of this great growing
community. Looking forward

---
Footnotes:
[1]: http://www.meetup.com/Chennaipy/polls/1194231/