[Chennaipy] Talks for the Next Meet

Vijay Kumar vijaykumar at zilogic.com
Thu Jul 16 18:06:59 CEST 2015

On Thursday 16 July 2015 08:16 PM, Gaurav Sehrawat wrote:
> I agree with all the feedback, but here is a different view of one of my
> friend as i asked him to give a talk.
> Quoting him
>  >>> i don't have the time to prepare and give talks and stuff
> engaging discussion
>
> I think he didn't get the idea.

One on One discussions are also an integral part of the meetup. That's
why we have a 30 min slot for networking over tea. And we have
discussions time towards the end of the meetup. So I appreciate people
coming to the meetup for exactly that purpose.

But I would like debunk some myths here:

   1. The talks give an opportunity for you to attract like minded
      people, to the meetup first, and then for a One on One discussion
      after your talk. So if you are interested in One on One
      discussions, then you would be better off giving a talk!

   2. Giving a talk is not a social service. That's at least not how I
      think about it. When I learn something new, and I am excited
      about it, I naturally feel like sharing it with someone else.
      Unfortunately not many people around me are interested in what I
      have got to say. That's why I talk about in a meetup, where there
      are like minded people, who are more than willing to listen.

   3. I sometimes do a talk for purely selfish reasons. For example,
      when I want to improve my knowledge and understanding of a topic,
      I do a talk on it. It forces me to learn the topic deeper, think
      about it at length. The fact that others benefit from it is a
      nice side-effect. So yeah, you don't need a halo above your
      head to do a talk :-)

Regards,
Vijay