[Chennaipy] Talks for the Next Meet

James Mortensen james.mortensen at synclio.com
Wed Jul 15 07:50:09 CEST 2015

Hey Shrayas,

The biggest bottleneck to getting people to speak is shyness and/or
introversion.  I think it's safe to say that many people in tech are
naturally more introverted than extroverted. Introverts can be people
oriented and social, but it's not their natural state.

Making the lightning talks 20 minutes instead of 10 might make the idea of
giving a talk scarier to some people, so maybe we can have some flexibility
there for first time speakers.

Also, I think another idea that could help is if we could get a group to
help people prepare for their speeches.  In my public speaking class in
college, the instructor suggested we practice in the same place where we'd
be giving the speech, so maybe IMSc would let a group come in on the 3rd
Saturday to practice in front of a small group of people.

Another idea is to do group presentations.  We have people who I suspect
would be more comfortable if they were up on stage with another person and
not just themselves.

Hope this helps!

James
Phone: * 866-707-4590*