[Chennaipy] Why newbies should do talks at Chennaipy

Kiran Gangadharan kiran.daredevil at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 16:40:31 CET 2015

I would also recommend checking out talks by Raymond Hettinger[1] to learn
about presenting technical topics in a fun and easy to understand manner.

[1] http://pyvideo.org/speaker/138/raymond-hettinger

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Vijay Kumar <vijaykumar at bravegnu.org>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> Newbies are generally reluctant to give talks, for various
> reasons. Here is one strong reason, to do a talk. If you are serious
> about learning Python, then the best way to learn it is by teaching
> others.  That's what the "Learning Pyramid" says. For more details see
> http://thepeakperformancecenter.com/educational-learning/learning/
> principles-of-learning/learning-pyramid/
> Your retention goes up to 90% if you do a talk on a topic, boosting
> the effectiveness of your learning process.
>
> Some topics for newbies:
>
>   * My 5 Favorite Questions from StackOverflow
>     For some popular questions see http://stackoverflow.com/
> questions/tagged/python?sort=votes&pageSize=15
>
>   * My Favorite Python Module
>     For some popular Python project see https://github.com/search?l=
> Python&o=desc&q=python&s=stars&type=Repositories&utf8=%E2%9C%93
>
>   * My Favorite Python Recipe
>     For some popular recipes see http://code.activestate.com/
> recipes/langs/python/top/
>
>   * My Favorite Python Language Feature
>
>   * 3 Python Gotchas to Watchout For
>     Based on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/530530/python-2-x-
> gotchas-and-landmines
>     and http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1011431/common-
> pitfalls-in-python
>
> Looking forward to talk submissions from newbies.
>
> Regards,
> Vijay

Cheers,
Kiran Gangadharan