[CentralOH] March Monthly Meetup ONLINE Tonight!

Greg Back greg at gregback.net
Mon Mar 30 14:22:41 EDT 2020

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the late notice, but this month's evening meetup WILL be
happening, and will be ONLINE, using Zoom! If you didn't already get the
notification from Meetup.com, the details are here:
https://www.meetup.com/Central-Ohio-Python-Users-Group/events/269747480/,
on http://www.cohpy.org/, and included below.

Hope to see you (virtually) there,

Greg

-----

Guy Royse will be talking about "Understanding Probabilistic Data
Structures with 112,092 UFO Sightings"

Guy likes weird stuff—UFOs, Bigfoot, peanut butter and bologna on
toast—maybe you do too? As far as the third bullet point, well, that’s
how many sightings he has.

Now, if you’re like most developers, you probably have no idea what
probabilistic data structures are. In fact, Guy did a super-scientific
poll on Twitter and found that out of 119 participants, 58% had never
heard of them and 22% had heard the term but nothing more. He wondered
what percentage of that 22% heard the term for the first time in the
poll. We’re a literal-minded lot at times.

In this talk, we’ll briefly go over some common probabilistic data
structures; dive deep into a couple (Bloom Filter, MinHash, and Top-K);
and show a running application that makes use of Top-K to analyze the
most commonly used words in all 112,092 of his UFO sightings.

When we’re done, you’ll be ready to start using some of these structures
in your own applications. And, if you use the UFO data, maybe you’ll
discover that the truth really is out there.

This group is only as good as its inputs. Please consider helping out.

6:00 p.m.: Socialize, eat and drink (your own food and beverages)

6:30 p.m.: Announcements followed by Presentation

8:00 p.m.: Hard Stop for Presentation (might hang around for more
socializing)

Join the online meeting with the following information:

Join Zoom Meeting
https://redislabs.zoom.us/j/760977593?pwd=cFJWL0ZIck1BVGVPd2I5MnpZd2hGZz09

Meeting ID: 760 977 593
Password: 1tyaew