[CentralOH] 'git gui','swig', and Tk under Python3

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Mar 30 12:26:15 EDT 2017

Jim Prior and I were discussing approaches to Python this
morning, and I mentioned a couple of 'dark corners' of which
he was unaware

1. 'git' has a GUI available (packaged separately on CentOS 7,
but part of the 'within the four corners of the base'
mainstream there nonetheless

2. And a conversion tool which includes Python code as a
target to emit: swig

from: rpm -qi swig

URL         : http://swig.sourceforge.net/

programming languages

Description : Simplified Wrapper and Interface Generator
(SWIG) is a software development tool for connecting C, C++
and Objective C programs with a variety of high-level
programming languages.  SWIG is primarily used with Perl,
Python and Tcl/TK, but it has also been extended to Java,
Eiffel and Guile. SWIG is normally used to create high-level
interpreted programming environments, systems integration, and
as a tool for building user interfaces

3. and a separate -doc sub-package as well

I've been building Python user facing tool widgets for an 'all
three platforms' and report that the Tk based GUI tools work
'just fine' under Python 3

	http://gallery.herrold.com/stuff/Arkanoid-python3.png

-- Russ herrold