[CentralOH] yesterdays statistics question

Bryan Harris brywilharris at gmail.com
Tue May 17 11:54:45 EDT 2016

As I understand it, the T-Test tells you whether two populations with
normal distributions have a different mean.  If you plot the prediction
errors do they seem to have a normal distribution?  The T-Test checks the
hypothesis:  "These populations have different means."

You probably also ought to do an F-Test.  The F-test checks the hypothesis:
"These populations have different variances."

If you have reasonable sample sizes, and both populations are reasonably
normal (they have a bell curve) then these tests work OK.

Are you doing this for work or pleasure?

Bryan Harris, PE
Research Engineer
Electro-Mechanical Systems
University of Dayton Research Institute