[CentralOH] Quick Start Versus Comprehensive Tutorials

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Fri Mar 20 19:04:14 CET 2015

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 09:32:36 -0700, timothy spencer <smashing_good_show at hotmail.com> wrote:

> So you can use an "else" statement with a for loop or a while loop.

> I came across that in Lutz's book[1].
> There was no mention of that in Zed's book[2].

There are many differences like that between Lutz's
Learning Python and quick start tutorials such as Zed's.
The quick start tutorials, such as but not limited to Zed's,
are great for getting a quick start and being able to be
productive in a short period. However, for that quick start,
they necessarily leave out many things. Learning Python is
also a tutorial, also suitable for beginners. Unlike the quick
start tutorials, Learning Python is comprehensive. It also is
slow, so it does not get ahead of you. It does not leave you
in the dust.

When you get through Learning Python, you know Python.

I recommend a hybrid approach. Start with a quick tutorial
like Zed's, then read Lutz's Learning Python.

[1] Learning Python, Fifth Edition by Mark Lutz
    http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Python-Edition-Mark-Lutz/dp/1449355730

[2] Lean Python the Hard Way by Zed Shaw
    http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/