[CentralOH] How Do You Learn Python?

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 02:07:06 CEST 2014

How do you learn Python?

Sugata Mitra's video[1] reminded me of how Ben Roger was
impressed with how pair programming was a really fast way
to come up to speed on a project that other's have been
working on. It'll be interesting to see what comments
Ben has comparing pair programming with Mitra's SOLE.

To answer my question, I usually go through a book[2], and do
many many little experimental programs as I go along to
reinforce what is in the book and explore the edges.
What I can not figure out by myself, I ask for help on mailing
lists or at dojos. With the informal gatherings like the dojos,
often the most interesting stuff is stuff volunteered by someone
else; stuff that I was not looking for.

[1] http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_build_a_school_in_the_cloud

[2] I used Mark Lutz' "Learning Python", 4th edition.
    There's now a 5th edition.
    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028154.do
    Folks who went to PyOhio could get the ebook version
    for free. Thanks O'Reilly!