[CentralOH] My lightning talk for Monday

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Thu Aug 21 03:05:06 CEST 2014

In most videos, time is on the z-axis. Each frame is a moment in time, and
as the frames progress, you move "through" time. That's true of normal
videos, and time lapse videos, though with time lapse videos, the time
distance between frames is greater.

But what if time were on the x-axis instead? This is what it would look
like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoQgmRckso

In this video, time moves from right to left. The distance in time between
the left and right side of the video is four hours. The video starts at
dawn and ends at night fall. There is even a mid-afternoon storm.

My lightning talk will be how I created this video using a 37 line
(including spaces and comments) Python program with a 5.6 Gigabyte memory
footprint on my laptop in a few hours.

Python topics touched on:

- PIL/pillow (of course)

- collections (deque specifically)

- glob

- slices

Should be over in five minutes! No previous Python knowledge required!

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Eric