[CentralOH] Startup Weekend

Kurtis Mullins kurtis.mullins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 20:28:38 CEST 2013

I don't know anything about Startup Weekend -- but wanted to throw my 2 cents in from a separate program I'm currently engaged in.

The National Science Foundation hosts a 7-week "workshop" (program) called Innovation Corps (i-corps for short) which, this year, is hosted out of San Francisco and consists of a bunch of very successful entrepeneuers teaching "technical" people the business end of things while helping them to develop a proper business model and finally decide to "go" or "no go" with their startup. This program practically ignores whatever technology you have and completely revolves around your business model: Specifically, talking to enough people to find out whether or not there is an actual need you're trying to fulfill.

I have 0 knowledge of Startup Week but this I-Corps program seems to be pretty insightful and valuable, especially if you're considering a startup venture. If the Startup Week program is anything like this I-Corps program, then I would highly recommend it. Otherwise, I can recommend the two books we use and I'd suggest finding a great "business mentor" to help guide and even setup some connections.

Also, if it's anything like I-Corps, there are actual VC's who are looking at the ideas coming through and if you can pitch your idea well enough then it might find its way to the right person.

So to answer your question:
If it's anything like the program I am currently engaged in,
1. All you will need is a "wireframe" (or very simple demo), no Python skills needed - Business Model is First
2. There is potential that VCs do keep an idea on events like this.