[CentralOH] JavaScript Versions

iynaix iynaix at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:21:50 CET 2013

Modern browsers should mostly all work the same, so the question is really
which versions of Internet Explorer to support.

IE 6 and IE 7 are really old and in my opinion, definitely not worth
bothering with at this time.

IE8 is a bit of an interesting dilemma, since IE8 is the last version of IE
that Windows XP supports, and XP users cannot upgrade to IE 9 or 10 without
upgrading their version of windows.

Some reasons not to support IE8:
Interestingly, Google has dropped support for IE8 across their services in
November 2012.
http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2012/09/supporting-modern-browsers-internet.html
Furthermore, jQuery 2.0, which should be released soon, will drop support
for IE6, 7 and 8.
http://blog.jquery.com/2013/01/15/jquery-1-9-final-jquery-2-0-beta-migrate-final-released/

IE8 is unfortunately still used by about 15% of Internet users, so it's
really up to you to evaluate the target audience of your website whether
you want / need to support this demographic.
Should you decide to support older versions of IE, ievms (
https://github.com/xdissent/ievms) is very helpful to help test these older
browsers. There is a snag however, in that Microsoft has yet to release a
VM image for IE10, which is currently only supported by Windows 8. (Sigh...
Microsoft :( )

Hope this helps,
XY

Cheers,