[CentralOH] Python on Ubuntu Question

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Wed Nov 30 19:43:09 CET 2011

James,

Hello Folks; I am doing some work with Python 2.7 on Ubuntu these days, and
> since this is my first foray from Windows into Linux in some time, I have
> some general questions. My Unix graduate school daze still remain with me,
> so I am okay with general setup. Maybe some of you could provide  your
> thoughts. The first question is would you install setuptools and use
> easy_install OR would you tend to use the Synaptic package manager within
> Ubuntu . . . i.e. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Sudo apt-get install python-dev python-setuptools
>
> Sudo easy_install scipy
> Sudo easy_install numpy
> Sudo easy_install matplotlib****
>
> ** **
>
> Or use the Ubuntu tools.

I install packages for things that are a pain to install any other way
(like scipy and numpy), and then create virtualenv's (using
virtualenvwrapper) for specific projects.  I also prefer pip over
easy_install, however sometimes pip doesn't work the way you'd like.  But,
pip gives you easy uninstall and requirements documentation via "pip
freeze".

However... knowing the work you do, and that you specifically mentioned
scipy, numpy, and matplotlib, I would highly recommend you check out
Enthought's Python Distribution (EPD).  It works on Linux and Windows, and
has its own python package manager with packages that are compiled with
some high performance libraries.  And there is a free version (only
difference is support and which packages come "pre-installed"):
http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php

As for IDE... Wing IDE works really well on Linux... don't really know of
any that are "Linux specific".

-Eric