[CentralOH] Browsing Python Modules

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Mon Jul 25 15:00:50 CEST 2011

On Jul 24, 2011, at 1:42 AM, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:

>> How do folks using vi to write their Python code find the
>> Python source of libraries used by their application?
>
> I don't use vi as an IDE. I lean towards the Unix philosophy of
> having many small programs where each one does one thing well.
> The magic is how one uses them (alone and in combination with
> other programs). The shell is the closest I come to using an IDE.
> I had never tried to do what you asked about. I would probably
> use the locate program. For example:

I'll add something that I just got working. I'm using virtualenv. In the virtualenv bin directory, I added a script named idle with the contents:

#! /bin/bash
python -m idlelib.idle &

Then when I need to look at library source, I can launch idle from inside vi with :! idle.  I know this still requires a GUI, but it works.

Mark