[CentralOH] __slots__

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Sat Oct 9 14:57:39 CEST 2010

Mark,

My understanding of slots is by doing that you would accomplish two main
things:

1. Decrease instance storage space (because no __dict__), which could make a
big difference if you are creating LOTS of instances.
2. Because there is no __dict__ you lose all the dynamic attribute
capabilities of Python (which is certainly an acceptable tradeoff for
improved memory management).

So yes, it makes sense, as long as you understand what you are trading off
and what you are gaining.

-Eric