[CentralOH] Sprints - cohpy.org Web Site

Matthew Wilson matt at tplus1.com
Sun Oct 4 16:40:36 CEST 2009

I'm just a lurker on this list.  I live in Cleveland.  I wanted to
share some history about our group and then plug a different idea.

About two years ago some clepy (cleveland python users group) started
work on a big project.  It was an open-source implementation of
meetup.com.  We even had a cool name picked out -- shindig.  The story
ends sadly.  Nobody agreed on the framework, the SCM, the site design,
etc.  Eventually we stopped talking about it.

Here's my humble suggestion for you guys: instead of or in addition to
starting a really grand project, what about doing some really mundane
stuff?  Maybe just start a package that collects clever little utility
functions written by members.

I started the clepy package on google code
(http://code.google.com/p/clepy/)  to collect all the weird little
utility functions we all write.  It has stuff like a powerset
generator, a bunch of funky iterators, some string manipulation stuff,
a @deprecated decorator that doesn't destroy the function signature,
and lots of other things.

 Or maybe adopt a module from the standard library and then improve
it.  The datetime module has a huge list of open tickets.

Just an idea.

Matt