[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] Merge catalog-sig and distutils-sig

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 20:40:58 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Richard Jones <richard at python.org> wrote:
> On 29 March 2013 14:45, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
>> If we leave the main list the 'distutils-sig', and just announce that
>> 'catalog-sig' is retired, folks who want to follow the new list just
>> switch over.  All the archives (mailman / gmane / etc.) stay valid, but
>> the list goes into moderated mode.
>
> Whoever has the power to do this, do it please.

+1

distutils-sig it is. We're expanding the charter to "the distutils
standard library module, the Python Package Index and associated
interoperabilty standards", but that's a lot easier than forcing
everyone to rewrite their mail filters.

Besides, it's gonna be a *long* time before the default build system
in the standard library is anything other than distutils. Coupling the
build system to the language release cycle has proven to be a *bad
idea*, because the addition of new platform support needs to happen in
a more timely fashion than language releases. The incorporation of pip
bootstrapping into 3.4 will also make it a lot easier to recommend
more readily upgraded alternatives.

Cheers,
Nick.