[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] Merge catalog-sig and distutils-sig

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Mar 29 03:59:11 CET 2013

On Mar 28, 2013, at 02:22 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>Is there much point in keeping catalog-sig and distutils-sig separate?

Without yet reading the whole thread, I'll just mention that it's probably
easier to just retire one or the other mailing lists and divert all discussion
to the other one.  Of course, the archives for the retired list would be
retained for historical purposes.  In fact, sigs are *supposed* to be
periodically reviewed for renewal or retirement, though I think practically
speaking we haven't done that in a very long time.

If there's consensus on what you want to do, please contact postmaster@ and
let them know.  Let's say you just want to retire catalog-sig: we can set up
forwards to distutils-sig and let the former be an "acceptable alias" to the
latter so postings will be accepted when addressed to either.  Of course,
folks on the defunct list should manually subscribe to the good list
(i.e. opt-in).

-Barry