[Catalog-sig] pre-PEP: transition to release-file hosting at pypi site

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Tue Mar 12 20:36:20 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> The *only* thing I object to is the part where some people want to ban
> external links from /simple, always and forever, regardless of the
> package authors' choice in the matter.

Here's the thing though, there are already a bunch of other ways users
can install packages from external repositories. I can think of at
least two:

* I can pip/easy_install a given URL (e.g. easy_install
https://www.djangoproject.com/download/1.5/tarball/)
* I can use a custom index server (pip install -i http://localserver/ django)

The important part is that in each of those cases I can see clearly
where I'm getting things from.

OTOH, if I do "pip install Django" I — the person making the install —
have no control over where that package comes from. It really violates
people's expectations that this reaches out to somewhere that's
not-pypi. More importantly it prevents me from making a security
choice -- I literally don't know until the download starts where the
file might be coming from.

>From where I stand the absolutely non-negotiable part is that
`pip/easy_install/whatever package` should NEVER access an external
host (after some suitable transition period). This needs to include
older installer software, and it needs to make it hard for new tools
to do the wrong thing. How this is achieved really doesn't matter to
me -- if there's a "pip install --insecure Django" that's fine too --
but to me it's non-negotiable that the out-of-the-box configuration
not allow external hosts.

Yes, this means taking some options away from the package creator. It
means that when I'm wearing my author-of-Django hat I can't choose to
list Django on PyPI but provide the download elsewhere. That's not
perfect, but given a "creator choice" vs "out of the box security"
choice the latter has to win. [And as a package creator I still have
days.]

Again, the *how* isn't a big deal to me, but the result is really
important: the tooling has to be secure-by-default, and that means
(among other things) `pip install package` can never hit something
that's not PyPI without me explicitly asking for it.

Jacob