[Catalog-sig] A 90% Solution

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Mar 12 01:32:47 CET 2013

On 12.03.2013 01:23, Donald Stufft wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2013, at 8:12 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

>>> To be accurate it's 90% don't have any files/release available *only* externally. Most have external  files to download because it's very rare that a project doesn't include an home_page or a download_url, especially since distutils complains if you don't.
>>
>> So what is the % of projects for whom the option can be disabled
>> automatically, *without* disabling automated downloadability of a
>> project's externally hosted files?
>>
>> Your statement is confusing to me, because the having of a home page
>> or download URL doesn't have anything to do with whether that page has
>> any files to download from it.
>
> I didn't differentiate between spidering or direct links to external files. I simply iterated over all files that the pip PackageFinder was able to find, figured out the version for each url, and stored if that version came a link to a pypi.python.org resource or a different domain. I then diffed the two lists to get a list of versions that are _only_ installable externally. That 90% is 90% who can have *all* links what so ever besides ones hosted on PyPI itself removed and not have any versions be no longer installable.

Which kinds of distribution files can pip's PackageFinder find ?
Does it find MSIs, EXEs, egg files ?

AFAIK, it only supports .tar.gz and .zip files, but no binary
files (except for the new .whl binary format).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 12 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/