[Catalog-sig] pre-PEP: transition to release-file hosting at pypi site

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 07:23:35 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> I think you've got things backwards here.  It's you who's been arguing
> that the solution to the problem of "improved uptime and security" is
> best implemented by "ban all non-PyPI hosting".

The uptime problem is *only* solvable by minimizing the number of
hosts involved. The minimum number of hosts is one. That means we
should get all releases onto PyPI. This has been obvious for years,
and I'm overjoyed to see that work is finally being done to make that
happen. Discussion should be about how to best do that, not if we
should do that or not.

We can also discuss wordings. Nobody is for example trying to strictly
speaking ban hosting on other hosts than PyPI. But if you do host on
another server, your package will not be a part of the Python
ecosystem, and it will not be installable by easy_install or pip or
buildout, etc. You can call that a "ban" if you want, but maybe that
causes negative connotations that are best avoided. But what ever you
call it the end goal and result is the same. Packages not hosted on
PyPI will not be easily installable. This is, and must be, the end
goal.

Now let's discuss how to get there instead.

//Lennart