[Catalog-sig] hash tags

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sat Mar 9 02:06:48 CET 2013

Il giorno 09/mar/2013, alle ore 00:15, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> ha scritto:

> On Mar 8, 2013, at 5:50 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>> Here's some more information pulled straight from Wikiepdia:
>>
>> Trust me, I've read a LOT of Wikipedia (and even more from other
>> sites, including at least the conclusions of a number of cryptography
>> papers) about hashing attacks recently, because I was seeing
>> inconsistencies in what people are saying about hashes and their
>> weaknesses and so forth.  99.9% of the discussion about attacks on
>> hashes have to do with collision attacks, prefix attacks, and length
>> extension attacks, all of which are extremely relevant for
>> *cryptographic* purposes.  Specifically, the use of hashes to verify
>> identity, authority, repudiability, etc...  which emphatically do
>> *not* apply to the use of an MD5 as a checksum to verify a correct
>> download.
>>
>> All of these attacks depend on *something else* being at stake besides
>> the integrity of the original message.  For example length-extension
>> attacks bypass the need to know a "secret" used in a naive hash-based
>> signature scheme (which is why you're supposed to use HMAC for such
>> things), while collision attacks let you trick a signer into signing
>> something that you can later replace with something altered.
>>
>> The current use of #md5 tags isn't subject to either of these kinds of
>> attack, because:
>>
>> 1. There is no "secret" to be revealed, and
>> 2. The author and signer are the same person
>>
>> So the only type of attack I've found out about thus far, in my
>> (admittedly few) hours of study on the subject, that is relevant to
>> the way we use MD5 on PyPI at present is the so-called "second
>> pre-image" attack, which is when you're given an existing message and
>> a hash, and have to create a new message with the same hash...  while
>> also incorporating something useful in the new message.
>>
>> The most recent report I saw on second pre-image attacks against full
>> MD5 estimated a 2**127 strength, meaning that even if you could
>> process a great many billion tries per second, it would take you
>> thousands of years to come up with a file that could masquerade as an
>> existing download.  (And most people's computers and/or internet
>> connections would choke on the massive file sizes needed for the
>> still-theoretical Kelsey-Schneier generalized preimage attack, which
>> in any case would apply equally to just about any other hash we could
>> currently put out in the field. i.e., it's not specific to a
>> particular hash algorithm, it just relies on certain properties of the
>> algorithm.)
>>
>> So, yeah, MD5 is *cryptographically* broken, sure.  But it's not
>> broken for *data integrity*.  And in the PyPI use case, the
>> "cryptographic" part is all in the SSL being used to fetch the MD5
>> link in the first place.
>>

>>> Here's the important highlights:

> [...]

Exactly.

Pj, the point is that even MD5 is not currently broken for 1st/2nd pre-image, there is absolutely no confidence that the security margin for such a broken algorithm is enough to keep it working in that case for even a short time. This is to say that it's not unrealistic that a 1st/2nd pre-image attack is published like tomorrow. You should expect it *any day* at this point.

It's a good practice to avoid crypto algorithms whose foundations are known to be broken. This is one of those cases. If we ever touch code that uses MD5, we should drop it immediately. There is no reason to keep it and wait for someone to release an attack, so that the world can point fingers at us and laugh.
Giovanni Bajo   ::  rasky at develer.com
Develer S.r.l.  ::  http://www.develer.com

My Blog: http://giovanni.bajo.it