[Catalog-sig] hash tags

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Mar 8 22:28:31 CET 2013

On 08.03.2013 20:16, PJ Eby wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> So far the only practical problem I've found with the approach
>> is that the download page may not contain dynamic data, e.g.
>> a date or timestamp, since that causes the hash tag not to
>> verify.
>
> Which is completely unnecessary if one simply exposes the *actual*
> download links directly on PyPI.  The download page is redundant, in a
> couple different ways.  First, since it can't change, there's no point
> in re-fetching it all the time.  Second, since it's only going to be
> read by tools anyway, there's no point to it containing anything
> besides the link.
>
> So, since the page only contains links, might as well put the links
> straight on PyPI, or at most have an option/tool to load the links
> from an external source.

I don't follow you. We only have a single download_url field
available to store a download link.

We'd need to modify the meta data format to allow for more than
one such field, which doesn't work if you want to stay backwards
compatible.

BTW: If we go with the CDN caching model for external files, we'd
pull the download page links directly on the /simple/ index
page - as files, not external links.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 07 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/