[Catalog-sig] Deprecation of External Urls, Statistics

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Mar 8 21:06:17 CET 2013

On Mar 8, 2013, at 2:54 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> It does solve the backwards compatibility issue of killing external urls immediately so I'm not flat out against it, but there may be legal issues involved too?
>
> I've mentioned this in the other thread as well, but the best way to
> actually ensure this stuff gets moved over to PyPI is to make it
> *easy*.  Give developers a button to click on PyPI that fetches all
> their external links (requiring first that you give matching MD5 or
> other checksums) and uploads them to PyPI, and a whole bunch of those
> projects are likely to be okay with clicking it a few times.  A
> command-line tool to do it (especially as a distutils/setuptools
> command) would be a good idea, too.

Tooling is the easy part. I've already volunteered to write a PR to add this functionality to PyPI, maybe with a mail out for maximal conversion.

> Of the tiny minority of remaining people who object to PyPI hosting
> for some reason other than convenience/familiarity (e.g. MAL's
> licensing objection), it will likely be sufficient to provide an
> option to add #md5 links to their description, in lieu of actual
> rehosting.

Keeping the ability to include external links lowers the overall effectiveness of the service in uptime and privacy. MD5 hashes are also unacceptable as a secure hash but that's another argument.

> FWIW, it's hard to get people to change behavior when one condemns
> that behavior as unlikeable or socially undesirable, because it means
> one is less likely to consider the other person's motivations, needs,
> etc., and on top of that, the other person's resistance and rebellion
> are stirred up by being the subject of one's disapproval.
>
> So please, let's all stop talking about ways to work around the
> package authors and project maintainers, or how to force them into
> doing our bidding, and start talking instead about how to make it
> *easy* and *obvious* for them to do what we want.
>
> (And people who think it's already easy and obvious enough, so those
> 10% of projects must be stupid, will obviously not have anything
> positive to contribute.)
>
> So let me kick off that discussion with a list of known-so-far use
> cases for external hosting, in descending order of my extremely rough
> guesstimate of frequency:
>
> * Always did it that way, never saw a reason to change, or didn't know
> you could upload to PyPI
> * Lots of files that are currently generated on the system where
> they're hosted, or in an automated system that would need significant
> rework to support PyPI
> * Development snapshots (which may in fact be depended upon by other
> in-development projects, so manual URL specification doesn't help
> here)
> * Had an issue w/PyPI availability in the past
> * Objectors to PyPI's licensing requirements
>
> Automation is aimed at the first two: make it easy enough, w/a carrot
> and a stick ("external link spidering is going away, you have to put
> either the links or the files on PyPI directly if you want them
> found"), and a lot of people will move (assuming they're actually
> still maintaining their project).
>
> Development snapshots are an interesting case, because one of the
> reasons they're valuable is that PyPI's existing multi-release
> behavior is a major PITA.  You can't upload a new version of something
> without PyPI creating a new release for it...  and automatically
> hiding all your previous releases, including your stable release.
> There's a lot that would have to be done to PyPI's release management
> before it would actually be sane to track such releases there.  So the
> obvious fix is to do nothing; such links being external doesn't hurt
> availability for people that don't depend on them (unlike
> rel=homepage/download links).

This is false, PyPI has a toggle to turn off the automatic hiding by default. However PyPI does need an option to prefer stable for what it uses as the default release when you visit a page in the Web UI.

If you're going to release a snapshot to PyPI you _should_ need to create a new release for it.

> The last two issues are education/persuasion problems that won't be
> affected by technology changes.
>
> Does anybody know of any other use cases for the thousands of projects
> and releases relying on external link discovery spidering?
>
> (Disparaging remarks about why a particular use case is bad, no good,
> makes you go blind, etc. need not apply: they serve only to show that
> the person providing the opinion lacks sufficient empathy with the
> target audience to be *useful* in a discussion of how to persuade that
> target audience to behave differently.)

Donald Stufft