[Catalog-sig] homepage/download metadata cleaning

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Mar 1 23:54:41 CET 2013

On 01.03.2013 23:50, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Hmm, then why not remove links that don't match the above from
>> the /simple/ index pages ?
>
> I think we can do that, but if we *start* with that, we will just
> suddenly, with no warning, break everything.
> Its' better if the installation tools can first warn, then remove
> their support for this, and *then* we remove these links from
> /simple/.
>
> That way we break things gradually, with warnings so that package
> managers can react and adapt.

As i understood Holger and Phillip, those linkes are not used by
the existing package managers. If there are no users, then nothing
should break, right ?

Of course, breaking things is a bad idea and I don't want to
push for that (migration is much better), I just wondered whether
this would be a low hanging fruit to clean up the /simple/ index
pages a bit.

Is there a tools that scans those non-distribution file
links from the package descriptions ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 01 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/