[Catalog-sig] Next generation package infrastructure (was: Deprecate External Links)

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Feb 28 19:47:11 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:31 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> In order for this to work out, you will need to get the
> support of people hosting packages externally and address
> their concerns.
>
> The current discussion has been too dogmatic for my taste.
> A more pragmatic approach would likely be a more reasonable
> and successful way to achieve a transition.

I think maybe if we have an uploader tool like the one I mentioned in
one of the other spinoff threads, we could address at least the
current upload situation by making it super easy to upload your
external files.  Better still, have a button you can press in the PyPI
UI that says, "fetch all my external distributions", and it gives you
a preview of the download files it's going to fetch (so you can filter
out mis-detected ones), and then it does the pulling.  Such a tool
could survive migration to the new infrastructure as well.