[Catalog-sig] Deprecate External Links

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Feb 28 10:09:41 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 09:48 +1100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On 28 February 2013 08:31, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > OTOH, I currently make development snapshots of setuptools and other
> > projects available by dumping them in a directory that's used as an
> > external download URL.  Replacing that would be a PITA because PyPI
> > only lets you upload and register new releases from distutils' command
> > line.  Basically, I'd need to use a download link that pointed to a
> > "latest" URL that redirected to the final download.
>
> Yup, and the down-side of distutils as the tool for talking to PyPI
> is, of course, the horrendous turn-around time trying to add features
> or fix bugs.
>
> I've advocated us having the upload/register/whatever functionality in
> a separate tool for a while, but that doesn't seem to have gained any
> traction. Of course issues around the complexity introduced by
> setup.py make it much harder.

FWIW three days ago i presented at Pycon Russia a unifying cmdline
workflow "meta" tool which configures and invokes setup.py
[...]/pip/easy_install commands.  I intend to publish it soon and
will also send a link once the video becomes available.

IOW, i fully agree we need to move away from putting things into
setup.py/distutils, start going for PEP426 etc. -- but WITHOUT breaking
things for all the packaging upload/installation processes out there.
Therefore a "meta tool" approach to make it easier for people to
gradually move away from current practises.

cheers,
holger