[Catalog-sig] Deprecate External Links

Richard Jones richard at python.org
Wed Feb 27 23:48:20 CET 2013

On 28 February 2013 08:31, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> OTOH, I currently make development snapshots of setuptools and other
> projects available by dumping them in a directory that's used as an
> external download URL.  Replacing that would be a PITA because PyPI
> only lets you upload and register new releases from distutils' command
> line.  Basically, I'd need to use a download link that pointed to a
> "latest" URL that redirected to the final download.

Yup, and the down-side of distutils as the tool for talking to PyPI
is, of course, the horrendous turn-around time trying to add features
or fix bugs.

I've advocated us having the upload/register/whatever functionality in
a separate tool for a while, but that doesn't seem to have gained any
traction. Of course issues around the complexity introduced by
setup.py make it much harder.

In the mean time I think Donald's suggestion for supporting
development pre-releases is reasonable:
> instead of (please replace with easy_install lingo here)
> `pip install setuptools==setuptools-dev` please `pip install -e
> http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/setuptools/#egg=setuptools-dev` ?

    Richard