[Catalog-sig] Including GnuPG with packaging tools

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 23:37:11 CET 2013

solipsis at pitrou.net> ha scritto:

>>> You want to post this on python-dev, not catalog-sig.
>>>
>>> Also, before inquiring about legal matters, it should first be decided
>>> whether it is desirable to ship our version of GnuPG, or not.
>>> (unless there has already been a thread about this and I've missed it
:-))

>> There is an open discussion whether to use TUF or GPG. If we go with
GPG, then we wlll discuss what to do, given that:

>> 1) for users, the problem is not on python-dev, but rather on the
maintainers of package managers (pip, easy_install) that need to decide how
to ship/install GPG to verify signatures.
>> 2) for maintainers, I don't see a strong need to ship it with distutils
within Python, as long as we have clear documentation on how to install it.
But this is open for discussion of course.

> I didn't see TUF mention anywhere what technology would be used to sign
its
> files. So it's possible to use GPG (or possibly another one?)

It specifically mentions PKCS#1, but the scheme seemed flexible enough to
accommodate the use of GPG instead.

There are more significant differences in the trust model between TUF and
Giovanni's design, though. The generality of TUF makes it more complex in
some regards, since it delegates trust for specific relative target paths
within the repo, whereas Giovanni's model just delegates trust for
distributions. However, TUF also already accounts for several additional
attack vectors (like deliberately providing old versions).

Cheers,
Nick.