[Catalog-sig] PyPI doesn't serve the correct mimetypes

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Feb 10 18:23:14 CET 2013

On 10.02.2013 18:11, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg <mal <at> egenix.com> writes:
>>
>> On 10.02.2013 18:00, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>> $ curl -I
>>>
> http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/z/zope.interface/zope.interface-4.0.3.tar.gz
>>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>>> Server: nginx/1.1.19
>>> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 16:59:29 GMT
>>> Last-Modified: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 18:23:12 GMT
>>> Connection: keep-alive
>>> Accept-Ranges: bytes
>>>

>>> But:
>>>
>>>  [>>>] mimetypes.guess_type("foo.tar.gz")
>>>  ('application/x-tar', 'gzip')
>>
>> I suppose this is done to make sure that browsers open the
>> "save as" dialog on the original file.
>>
>> If you instead set the correct MIME type
>> on these files, browsers often tend to transparently decompress
>> the files before offering to save them, which is not what
>> you want in this use case.
>
> It's precisely what I want, actually. I wanted the file to open in
> the archive manager, not in my text editor (or any other program chosen
> at random by the OS / browser).

Well, yes, but you normally want to be able to save the original
foo.tar.gz file instead of the foo.tar file.

Perhaps PyPI could send the mime type application/x-compressed-tar
to allow having both.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 10 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/