[Catalog-sig] PyPI and setuptools

Justin Cappos jcappos at poly.edu
Sun Feb 10 00:40:21 CET 2013

We're hoping to be able to fix this by interposing on network
communications by these tools.   The basic idea is that we'll have a
replacement for urllib, urllib2, etc. that adds and validates security
cleanly.   (Note the replacements will only be used in python package
managers.)   TUF ( https://www.updateframework.com/ ) will correctly
validate security metadata and only pass validly signed information to the
package manager for installation.

So the hope is that other than a few lines of code that import the
alternative for urllib, urllib2, etc. there won't be any changes.   We will
be maintaining the security code as a separate project (TUF is used by
things other than Python package managers) and will be constantly improving
it.

Anyways, I won't be able to attend, but I will try to get a student to show
a demo in the hallways at PyCon to show what we mean...

Thanks,
Justin