[Catalog-sig] PyPI API

Jimmy John jimmyislive at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 01:40:29 CET 2013

Hello,

   I am looking at the json endpoints of modules served from
pypi.python.orgin order to obtain more info about a package like
download count, author,
description etc. e.g.

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Django/json

   I noticed that the response headers do not contain info like
Last-Modified or Etag. Thus if I am requesting the above link periodically
e.g. (to see if the download count has changed), I cannot make use of any
conditional GETs (e.g. by using If-None-Match, If-Modified-Since etc). I
have to hit the endpoint again and parse the info again. (even if nothing
has changed)

   Can this be added to the response headers? or what is the recommended
approach...

thx
Jim