[Catalog-sig] [Draft] Package signing and verification process

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 23:26:51 CET 2013

donald.stufft at gmail.com> ha scritto:

>> On Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
>>
>> 1. If we're going to implicitly trust PyPI when it says that key X is
valid for package Y,
>>     do we really gain much here? If we're trusting PyPI then we only
really need secure
>>     ingress and egress neither of which need packaging signing.
>

> Adding GPG signature on top of SSL helps mitigating (at least) the
following concerns:

> 1) If a PyPI account password is compromised (stolen, bruteforced, etc.),
an attacker cannot upload a package that will be installed by package
managers. This also requires making sure that a GPG fingerprint cannot be
added to the account without a second factor authentication (can be
anything from a link to a security email address, to a SMS). Notice that
PyPI passwords are currently saved in the filesystem in clear
($HOME/.pypirc).

Which reminds me, that system *really* should be replaced/supplemented with
a time limited server generated auth token, the way Bugzilla and various
other services do it.

If need be, I can bug a couple of GPL RH projects to contribute their
existing solutions to that problem, but there should be non-GPL examples
kicking around the web already.

Cheers,
Nick.