[Catalog-sig] readthedocs.org or packages.python.org?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Feb 7 00:58:22 CET 2013

Yeah, I wasn't aware that RTD didn't accept uploads.  I haven't actually used
it for my own documentation yet because I tend to just `python setup.py
upload_docs` when I make a release.  I think I'll play with RTD soon though.

While all my own code is in publicly available dvcs's (and I think RTD
supports all of the big three), I'd still like to preserver the setup.py cli.

On Feb 07, 2013, at 08:45 AM, Richard Jones wrote:

>While expanding the scope of RTD seems like a good idea (pending
>agreement by the maintainers) I wonder what it is that we're actually
>achieving?
>
>Currently with RTD and packages.python.org we've got two free,
>easy-to-use services for hosting documentation.
>
>I believe our goal should be to make it easier for projects to provide
>documentation.

Agreed.  Providing docs is good.  Having two services just seems like it
introduces some confusion.  Purely at random, I picked the nose package on
PyPI:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/nose/1.2.1

this contains a like called 'Package Documentation' at the top, which sends
you first to http://packages.python.org/nose with a redirect to
https://nose.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

I suppose that's not so bad, although it's a little crufty.  How hard was it
for the nose devs to set that up?

>If RTD was made to accept setuptools* upload_docs pushes (implying
>also that they host arbitrary content) then it could be a replacement
>for packages.python.org eventually. There'd be some transition pain
>though (especially if users of upload_docs didn't notice.)
>
>Either way both are linked from PyPI, both are good Google juice, ...
>
>I guess one of the benefits of merging is that the PSF only has one
>such service to maintain - although to be honest the burden of
>maintaining packages.python.org runs to about one support issue a year
>- a pittance compared to PyPI :-)
>

>    Richard
>
>* yes, I keep forgetting to look into getting that into distutils core

+1 :)

-Barry