[Catalog-sig] Use user-specific site-packages by default?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 15:57:14 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:46 AM, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:
> Il giorno 05/feb/2013, alle ore 15:06, Holger Krekel
> <holger.krekel at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> In the end, however, none of this prevents MITM attacks between a downloader
> and pypi.python.org.  Or between the uploader and pypi.python.org (using
> basic auth over http often).  Signing methods like
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman-key are key.  If a signature is
> available (also at a download_url site), then we can exclude undetected
> tampering.  And there might not be a need to break currently working package
> releases.
>

> A signature is not enough; if you don't have a secure channel, signatures
> can be replayed. Eg: if you install through an unsecure channel and you just
> verify GPG signatures on the package, I can MITM you and serve you an older,
> vulnerable package version (with its correct signature), and then go exploit
> that vulnerability.

Don't let perfect become the enemy of better. There are a *truckload*
of potential vulnerabilities in the way people currently use PyPI, and
*all* of them need to be addressed over time. It's great that the
problems with rubygems and the published MITM attack on PyPI have
drawn attention to these issues, but it's important to remember that
the reason most of them haven't been addressed before now is because
they're *hard problems*, and because there's a tension between
encouraging relative newcomers to Python (and open source in general)
to share their work with the world, providing reasonable transition
plans from existing insecure practices to more secure allternatives,
and ultimately satisfying the dependency management needs of those
that want to be able to obtain trusted versions of software directly
from PyPI using the standard tools.

Regards,
Nick.