[Catalog-sig] Use user-specific site-packages by default?

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue Feb 5 10:57:37 CET 2013

Il giorno 05/feb/2013, alle ore 02:36, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Something that caught my attention in the recent security discussions
> is the observation that one of the most common insecure practices in
> the Python community is to run "sudo pip" with unsigned packages
> (sometimes on untrusted networks).
>
> To my mind, this is a natural reaction to the user experience of pip:
> you run "pip install package", it complains it can't write to the
> system site packages directory, so you run "sudo pip install package"
> to give it the permissions it clearly wants.
>
> If pip used the user site packages by default (when running as anyone
> other than root), that dangerous UI flow wouldn't happen. Even when
> pip was run outside a virtualenv, it would "just work" from the users
> perspective. It also has the advantage of keeping systems cleaner by
> default, since there will be a clear separation between system
> packages and pip-installed packages.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Nick.

One meta-question:  does this mailing-list have any "authority" over pip? Are there any pip maintainers here? Because I see that pip development being done on different channels, so I was wondering what is the workflow to discuss such modifications.
Giovanni Bajo   ::  rasky at develer.com
Develer S.r.l.  ::  http://www.develer.com

My Blog: http://giovanni.bajo.it