[Catalog-sig] Use user-specific site-packages by default?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 07:42:24 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Yuval Greenfield <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent idea.
>
> I've been using "sudo pip install" since forever for the exact reason you
> mention. I don't even know how to install anything with pip and no sudo.

If you're not inside a virtualenv, then "pip install --user
<whatever>" will install "<whatever>" to your user packages directory
rather than the system site packages. I'm not sure what it does inside
a virtualenv, as I've never tried it.

The behaviour of "pip uninstall" might need a little thought, though,
if "pip install" changes to automatically user the user site directory
when it can't write to the system one. At the moment, I think it's the
same as install - it complains it can't write to the system directory,
even if the package is present in the user directory.

Cheers,
Nick.