[Catalog-sig] Rules for registering project names on PyPI

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 00:28:45 CET 2012

Can someone please point me to where the rules are defining what are acceptable
names for projects registered on PyPI? There are some unusual names, e.g.

☃ ('\u2603')
flügelform
"Coversation With Your Car" (including the quotes)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaasa aaaaaaasa aaaaasaa aaaaaaasa  bbbbbbbbbbb
__past__

Plus there are some names which show up in the XML-RPC API, but not in any other
interface (e.g. __my__schachtler)

It's a little hard to believe that these are genuine projects.

Has there been any discussion about tightening the rules for new registrations,
or about tightening the rules for version formats for new projects? I would
appreciate any pointers people can provide.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip