[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] zc.buildout 2.0.0a4 released

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Nov 20 00:19:01 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Alex Clark <aclark at aclark.net> wrote:
> Ugh, sorry. I wonder if we can get Richard Jones or Martin von Löwis to
> modify PyPI such that "hiding" really means hiding (CC'ing catalog-sig).

That would be very bad.  Old releases are often hidden.

> also wonder if that is the right thing to do.

It's not.

pip install https://github.com/downloads/buildout/buildout/zc.buildout-2.0.0a4.tar.gz

> Actually what would be ideal (I think), if it were possible, is:
>
>  - Upload sdist
>  - Hide release
>  - pip install zc.buildout installs latest unhidden release
>  - pip install zc.buildout==2.0.0a4 installs 2.0.0a4.
>
> But that may be nonsensical… unless perhaps pip and easy_install were to
> check a different index if/when an exact version spec is given. :-/

What would be ideal would be for pip and easy_install to only install
non-final releases if asked to. Or at least provide an option to
prefer final releases. Buildout has had a prefer-final option for
years. In an upcoming buildout 2 alpha, this will become the default.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton