[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] accept the wheel PEPs 425, 426, 427

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 19:46:59 CET 2012

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> My informed opinion comes from writing a build_wheel command for Bento
> It was much easier than writing bdist_wheel for setuptools because the Bento
> code is much cleaner and the different phases of build / compile / install /
> etc. are nicely separated.

What documentation did you have to help you? Or did you just copy an existing
command as a template and change it to one that built wheels?

> The Bento build_wheel declares a dependency between itself and the build
> command. When you run build_wheel the build command and all of its
> dependencies run, writing internal Bento metadata about the build to disk.

That certainly sounds saner than the distutils dance.

> After build has run, build_wheel does not have to touch the other commands.
> It just reads the internal metadata and creates the archive.

Is that documented? Is it the "build manifest" mentioned in the "Design notes"
part of the documentation?

> yaku is one way Bento can build C extensions. Bento can also use waf or
> distutils' own compiler abstraction.

Well, yaku seems something of a black box, and I'm not sure how that's a good
thing.

> One potential deal breaker: David uses \ in his code. You will have to get
> over it if you want to use Bento.

Well, the Bento documentation itself refers to its "weak documentation" and
"mediocre code quality" - while I don't think David needs to be quite so
self-deprecatory, I would definitely agree about the documentation :-)

I'm not currently planning to use Bento - my interest at present is just to see
if it might conceivably be a potential client of distlib.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip