[Catalog-sig] Dependencies

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Tue Jun 19 00:32:34 CEST 2012

On 16/06/2012, at 11:04 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Donald Stufft <donald.stufft at gmail.com> wrote:
>> setuptools is a non standard addition to Python packaging which
>> is impossible to safely extract requirements in a 100% generic
>> way.
>
> That's not really fair.  Setuptools tried hard to build on the
> standard, distutils
> and was blessed by Guido at one point. But that's beside the point....
>
>> Distutils2 / metadata 1.2 includes a safe, good way to specify
>> requirements similar to setup tools but it's not ready for primetime yet.
>
> Perhaps support for the new meta-data configuration files could be
> added to distribute. (Perhaps it has already?)
>
> If distribute supported (or with help, could support) the new meta-data
> standard, that would allow us to move forward on proven software.

+1
Particularly if it was on by default. Then for the 99.9% of packages
that have the same set of dependencies regardless of environment, on
their next release we'd have dependencies pypi would have no excuse
not to read.
Then it would finally be possible for someone to make tools that take
dependency information into account *before* downloading software,
like every other decent package management system in the world.