[Catalog-sig] Flag to tell pip to only install uploaded files

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 09:08:51 CEST 2012

On Thursday, July 5, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Stefan Krah wrote:
> And many people have been pleasantly surprised by external packages.

I can't imagine a situation where i'd want an external package over one
hosted on PyPI. Out of curiosity what benefits are those people
seeing from them? The only thing I can think of is for projects
where PyPI doesn't allow them to upload because their distributions
are too large (PySide I think?). Otherwise all the other properties
of external packages lead themselves to surprising behavior, higher
likelihood that any particular set of requirements will not be available,
and increase the surface for someone to compromise and exploit people
installing via pip/easy_install via PyPI.