[Catalog-sig] What is the point of pythonpackages.com?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 8 02:53:28 CET 2012

On 2/7/2012 1:18 AM, Kai Diefenbach wrote:
> On 2012-02-06 21:58:11 +0000, Terry Reedy said:
>
>> On 2/6/2012 3:17 PM, Andreas Jung wrote:
>>> My point about this: if a person does not want
>>> to host its package on PyPi than it should stay away from PyPI.
>>
>> The Python Package Index was originally just that: a package *INDEX*,
>> aiming to be a complete index.
>
> If a listed package is not available (because an external server is
> down) the index is broken.

If a package has files on pypi, there is an html table with these headers

File 	Type 	Py Version 	Uploaded on 	Size 	# downloads

If it does not, there is no such table. Any 'professional' should be
able to notice the difference and ignore packages without. Any external
software should be able to detect same.

If you want, request a new entry under 'Browse packages' for 'Packages
in repository'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy