[Catalog-sig] What is the point of pythonpackages.com?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Feb 7 17:18:58 CET 2012

On 02/07/2012 07:18 AM, Kai Diefenbach wrote:
> On 2012-02-06 21:58:11 +0000, Terry Reedy said:
>
>> On 2/6/2012 3:17 PM, Andreas Jung wrote:
>>> My point about this: if a person does not want
>>> to host its package on PyPi than it should stay away from PyPI.
>>
>> The Python Package Index was originally just that: a package *INDEX*,
>> aiming to be a complete index.
>
> If a listed package is not available (because an external server is
> down) the index is broken.

That's an interesting observation. I would think 'broken' is strong
language, but it the index can at least be considered incorrect in that
particular instance.

If people have tools that rely on the index being correct, then this it
being incorrect can be a problem. You can either say those tools
shouldn't be used for "real" development work ("you're doing it wrong"),
or encourage people to provide the package on PyPI as well
(encouragement as a social solution), or consider facilities to provide
redundancy (caching, mirroring) to help with the experience (a technical
solution).

Regards,

Martijn