[Catalog-sig] ANN: pythonpackages.com beta

Yuval Greenfield ubershmekel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 23:12:34 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Alex Clark <aclark at aclark.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 8/1/12 2:09 PM, Eric P. Mangold wrote:
> [snip]

>>> That's good to know, and probably I direction I'd like to head in.
>>> To be clear: I want to do any-useful-thing-I-can (within the
>>> ballpark) in order to start alleviating pain points for folks today.
>>>

>> Cool,
>>
>> Well one thing would be to make all of your source code open-source, if
>> that is not already the case(?)
>>
>> I can imagine wanting to run some pythonpackaging.com infrastructure
>> outside of pythonpackages.com
>>

> I <3 open source and it could happen, but it hasn't yet (for various
> reasons). I have a FAQ about it here:
>
> - http://docs.pythonpackages.**com/en/latest/faq.html#is-**
> pythonpackages-com-open-source<http://docs.pythonpackages.com/en/latest/faq.html#is-pythonpackages-com-open-source>

Pasted what the FAQ says for reference:

Is pythonpackages.com open source?

The web application that powers pythonpackages.com is not open source,
> however it uses open source software where and when applicable, and
> permissible by license, in order to facilitate its operation. Furthermore,
> pythonpackages.com has a large committment to the open source software
> community in general, and strives to contribute as much as possible. All of
> pythonpackages.com’s open source offerings are made available here:
> https://github.com/pythonpackages.

It doesn't really explain why pythonpackages.com isn't open source. Keeping
the project closed is your right. Though I can definitely understand why
Eric or any package maintainer would worry of introducing a dependency on a
black box that does binary magic.

Yuval