[Catalog-sig] PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Mon Apr 16 23:45:27 CEST 2012

On 4/16/12 11:23 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Am 16.04.2012 23:05, schrieb Tarek Ziadé:
>> On 4/16/12 10:57 PM, ken cochrane wrote:
>>> That would be nice, you could include other stats information as well
>>> (not sure what yet).
>> sounds like a nice "checksum" addition to PEP 381- that'd avoid
>> client-side parsing just to get the number of mirrored packages.
> I'm not sure what purpose this would serve. I already don't see the
> point in computing the number of mirrored packages or the number of
> mirrored files (other than to rejoice the PyPI maintainer: wow,
> we have 20545 packages in PyPI! It was only 10,000 just a short time
> ago).
>
> I think the original requester of this feature suggested that as a
> sanity check, apparently not trusting the last-modified information.
Yeah that's what I understood too. So I used the term 'checksum'
> If it's really this kind of distrust, any generated stats information
> should be just as distrusted. For example, it may be that mirrors
> failed to correctly copy one of the files, or show other
> inconsistencies. No mirror-generated statistics would indicate this
> problem.
the number of packages is a good indication of a successful mirroring -
I think that was the point.

I can definitely see a mirroring implementation where the last-modified
field is updated at the end
while some packages are not copied over at the end for whatever network
issue.

Maybe a better checksum would be a global hash calculated differently ?