[Catalog-sig] PyPI trove classifiers for alternate language implementations

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Sep 16 01:18:34 CEST 2011

Michael Foord wrote:

>>> Opinions on this proposal? (including the specific spelling,
>>> leaving alone that the separator is ::, not -)
>>
>> Better user CPython, PyPy and Jython for consistency with the
>> other Trove spellings.
>>
>> I'm -0 on the "Implementation" part. Do we really need this ?
>>

> Jython, PyPy and CPython are not "programming languages" they're
> implementations of the Python programming language - so I would prefer to
> differentiate like this.

Well, yes, but if you look at the OS section of the Trove list
you also find different implementations of BSD under the
BSD category:

Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD
Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD :: BSD/OS
Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD :: FreeBSD
Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD :: NetBSD
Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD :: OpenBSD

(just to take one exmaple)

See http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=list_classifiers for the full
list.

Also note that Cython is listed as:

Programming Language :: Cython

even Zope is listed as programming language:

Programming Language :: Zope

so there isn't all that much consistency in the naming.

BTW: Stackless is missing from your list.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 16 2011)
2011-10-04: PyCon DE 2011, Leipzig, Germany                18 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/