[Catalog-sig] parsing setuptools style requires.txt

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 15:01:19 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:
> then why not allow a change to parsing of setuptools style dependencies?
> or perhaps point me to the discussion that explains what I'm missing.
>
> Its also been mentioned that in order to make this parsing work you need to
> run setup.py to get the requires.txt for setuptools packages and this is a
> security concern. However many packages already have the egg-info commend
> run before upload so there is no need to run setup.py. For those packages
> where there is a need I think security concerns could be overcome with the
> use of the restrictedpython package. Anything trying to import anything but
> the bare minimum is skipped.

the egg-info produced by setuptools is dependent on the platform it's
run on, so running on the target client is what you need to get the
right values for sure.

with PEP 345-style metadata, you have ways to define static
per-platform metadata.

In fact, one of the goal is to have setup.cfg published at pypi

> My interest in this is the idea that we could get distutils2 and/or
> zc.buildout to be able to download regular updates of metadata including
> dependencies, then perhaps those tools could avoid certain kinds of conflict
> errors which are a pain to debug without that information. For instance, the
> current design of zc.buildout means that:
>
> Download Bob. Bob 1.0 requires Fred >= 2.0.
> Download Fred 3.0
> Download Marry. Marry 1.0 requires Fred < 2.5
> Conflict error. Marry 1.0 requires Fred < 2.5 but we already have Fred 3.0.
>
> If instead we knew in advance of this conflict we could have chosen to
> download Fred 2.4 or at least warned the user there was a potential conflict
> and they should pick a compatible version. In the case of preinstalled
> packages, it could offer to downgrade Fred from 3.0 to 2.4.

I think Pip solves this by downloading all dependencies beforehand, no
? and it works for all platforms.

The bottom line is that spending efforts on adding on server side
platform-specific metadata that are not guaranteed to be accurate for
your target platform, is not worth it since you can already do
something accurate on client side at this time.

PEP 345 will provide an improvement in the long term since you will be
able to read dependencies, but also the file list, without having to
download the package.

IOW, installers will speed up because they will be able to build
dependency graphs on the fly -- as long as all packages are PEP 345,
which won't happen before a while.

Cheers
Tarek

--