[Catalog-sig] PyPI's external packages

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:57:20 CEST 2011

Hey,

I think some people are unaware of the fact that hosting themselves
their packages can lead to problems when their websites are down.

I'd like to propose these two very simple changes:

- in packaging/distutils2, when the register command is called, just
state that uploading the package would be a good idea  :)
- in pypi.python.org, on a project page that has no file uploaded, if
the user connected is the project owner/maintainer, add a small
message explaining why it's a good idea

Maybe that could help reducing the number of external packages

I'll definitely do something in distutils2 but maybe someone has a better idea ?

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org