[Catalog-sig] Thoughts on more detailed stats

Alexis Métaireau alexis at notmyidea.org
Sun Mar 27 15:45:18 CEST 2011

On 23/03/2011 06:22, Thomas Lotze wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Jim Fulton<jim at zope.com>  wrote: ...
>>> I think it would help to ask what the goals of the statistics are? The
>>> statistics are presumably used to answer some questions. What are those
>>> questions?

Having a user agent defined in the clients connecting PyPI could also
allow to make statistics on the usage of such tools (xx% of all the
downloads on pypi.python.org are made by buildout, by the distutils2
index crawler, by pip etc.)

I'm +1 on having CI tools using specific HTTP headers in order to avoid
using those information as "user downloads". We can probably store this
information in a different place and display clearly what the number of
downloads for CI tools is on pypi.py.org

--
Alexis — http://notmyidea.org